Wednesday 1 February 2012

Why I'm too cool for facebook

Not a craft night passes without a friend or two having a stab at me about not being on facebook. To tell you the truth, in the beginning I just didn't really think it would be around for long enough to bother joining! But as time has passed, it is still here, and continues to increase in popularity. Even my eighty year old Granddad has an account!

So why don't I just join up? Mostly its because I spend enough time online as it is, I don't want something else to lose myself in. Yes, I do often miss out on being invited to things, or sometimes receive a last minute invite. But every now and then, a friend or two will give me a ring and update me on what is going on in the village  this week. We don't need to use smiley emoticons to tell each other how we are, because I can hear it in her voice.

So next time you are on facebook, and thinking, 'Bloody Victoria, just trying to be difficult', pick up your phone and give me a call.




4 comments:

  1. i dont have your phone number ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you feel frustrated that your choice not to be on FB isn't being respected, and I'm sorry if that's the case. If it's worth anything to you, please know that no-one *actually* thinks you think you're too cool for it. It's just that everyone loves you and wants you to be a part of their community which, even if it's online, is just as much a real community as face-to-face contact.

    I can understand why you haven't joined up and I admire your determination not to. And it IS very addictive, so if you feel you already spend too much time online, getting a FB account would be the nail in your coffin.

    You're being strong in the face of opposition, and if people can't appreciate that, then that's their problem. ;) Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a pic of you on there ;) You can never really escape it.
    Good for you though. I have left before, but it always sucks me back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm picking up what you're putting down about the hints.

    Not that it makes any difference but I go through phases of wondering why I am just not on FB. At the moment I am in a time of huge relief and joy about it. Yep, way tooooo cooool. :-)

    ReplyDelete