Friday 4 November 2011

An ode to babywearing

A couple of friends have toddlers that are getting to a stage where they no longer like to be worn (ie babywearing). I know these Mamas will grieve this stage being over, but also be so happy to see their little ones growing and developing, wanting to explore the world independently.

This a little poem I found when Charlotte was only tiny, still a little cuddly koala in her hug a bub, and I thought I would still be wearing her for years! These days she still loves to be carried, but I know the time will come (too soon) when she wants her space and freedom...

I will carry you

I love that I can kiss you
Just inches away from my lips
Our hearts beat together as I carry you

Perched up high you see my world
Then turn your head in and sleep
Restiong on me you are safe
Your body next to mine you are secure

We are in tune in this external womb
In my arms you will be Until you are ready to venture out
But until then, I promise,
I will carry you.

by Michelle Abernethy


Wayne carrying Charlotte (for the first time) in the Hug a Bub on Fathers Day 2010 (six days old)



Homemade ring sling October 2010 (6 weeks old)


The trusty Ergo in Phuket May 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment